Lefra Productions is excited to announce the staging of Buddy – The BUDDY HOLLY Story at Emperors Palace’s Theatre of Marcellus from 14 May to 10 June. Buddy has been enjoyed by millions of people around the world and tells the story of the tragically short life of Buddy Holly, who along with his high-school friends the Crickets, turned country music upside down to create some of the best rock ‘n’ roll songs ever written. In this rock ‘n roll musical we share Buddy’s frustrations through his first recording contract; the excitement America felt when ‘That’ll Be The Day’ hit #1; his naïve determination to be the first white act to play the Apollo Theatre, Harlem; his whirlwind romance and marriage to Maria Elena; concluding with the ill-fated ‘Winter Dance Party’ tour of the Midwest and what in theatre must be one of the most incredible musical concerts of all-time.
Auditions will be held for the following parts:
- Joe B Mauldin: double bass player from Lubbock, Texas. Preferably under 25. Serious, square young man with musical ability. Must be able to sing and act.
- Jerry Allison: Drummer, preferably under 25 from Lubbock, Texas. Good looking, irrepressible cheeky humour with musical ability. Must be able to act. The ability to sing is preferred but not prohibitive.
- Maria Elena Holly: Attractive, under 25 of Hispanic-American extraction. Classy and well-educated. Must be able to sing. Musical ability and advantage but not prohibitive.
- J.P. Richardson – The Big Bopper: A former DJ, he is a Texan with an irrepressible larger-than-life character, 6ft and above, with the ability to command the stage on his own as a single performer. His key song is “Chantilly Lace”. Must be able to act and should possess a comedic flair. The ability to play a musical instrument an advantage but not prohibitive.
- Ritchie Valens: Good looking, under 25 and of Hispanic-American extraction. Ritchie is an attractive, handsome boy with serious charisma, a dedicated eye for the ladies, and the ability to hold the stage in his own right. His key Song is “La Bamba”. Must be able to act.
- Hipockets Duncan: Under 40, an exuberant hometown radio DJ from Lubbock, Texas, with an air of authority and a keen sense of humour. Must be a strong actor. The ability to sing and/or play a musical instrument an advantage but not prohibitive.
- Norman Petty: Under 40, a record producer from Clovis, New Mexico, with a business-like manner and a love of making records. Must be a strong actor. The ability to sing and/or play a musical instrument an advantage but not prohibitive.
- Vi Petty: Under 40, and wife of Norman with a heart of gold. Vi must be able to sing and act, and have keyboards ability, with a good sense of humour.
- Apollo Performer: Male of African-American extraction with the ability to hold the stage on his own. Key song “Shout”. Must have good comic timing and be able to act. It is preferable to have the ability to play a musical instrument but not prohibitive.
- Apollo Performer: Female of African-American extraction with the ability to hold the stage on her own. Key song “Shout”. Must have good comic timing and be able to act. The ability to play a musical instrument is an advantage but not a prerequisite.
- The Company: Must be able to sing and have the ability to play a multitude of roles and/or musical instruments. We define the show around the talent that is available. Experience and training are not necessary, but ability is a prerequisite for the show.
Please ensure that a completed audition form and a full-page head-and-shoulders picture accompany your application.